PLFA 8 Weekend 1 Roundup

Autor: Alex Zarganis Published: 28 Aug 2013 | Comments: 0




The first weekend of PLFA 8 tournaments has been completed, with games played in all five of the division's groups. Here is a summary of each of those five tournaments, as well as a short recap of each of the games played within them.


Group A (Ostrołęka): Crusaders take two as football debuts in Ostrołęka


Results from the 1st Group A Tournament, played on Sunday in Ostrołęka:

Game 1: Warszawa Crusaders B 17, KS Kurpie & Łomża Jackals 12

Game 2: Sopot Sabercats B 34, Toruń-Bydgoszcz Metropolitans 12

Game 3: Warszawa Crusaders B 38, Sopot Sabercats B 22

Game 4: KS Kurpie & Łomża Jackals 24, Toruń-Bydgoszcz Metropolitans 6


Overview: The B teams from two of the best teams in PLFA II came away best in the first weekend of Group A play, although the Crusaders had to come from behind in both of their wins to secure their spot atop the standings. The Sabercats and the host Kurpie & Jackals each got a win of their own, both at the expense of the Metropolitans, who came in representing two cities traditionally portrayed as rivals.


Game 1: The Crusaders trailed twice to the Kurpie & Jackals in the first official game of football played in Ostrołęka, but Bartosz Bujak touchdown runs put them back in front on both occasions. Łukasz Szymanik turned an 11-6 halftime deficit into a 12-11 fourth-quarter lead for the Kurpie & Jackals with a 15-yard touchdown run, only to see Bujak burst through the defense for a 59-yarder minutes later.


Game 2: In a show much different than the one usually put on by their senior team, the Sabercats B team did most of their damage on the ground in a game that saw all seven touchdowns scored through the running game. Sopot led the Metropolitans, who were making their PLFA debut, 22-6 at halftime thanks mainly to two scores by Adrian Abraham, and backup quarterback Mateusz Kogut scored his second touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter to put the game away.


Game 3: Abraham and Kogut both scored again in the third game as the Sabercats jumped out to a 22-6 lead in the second quarter, before the Crusaders scored the game's final 32 points to shock a Sopot team that may have run out of gas during the second half of back-to-back games. Bujak scored before halftime to begin the comeback, and Jan Dostatni first tied the game with his second score of the game and then gave the Crusaders the lead with his third, a 65-yard jaunt later in the third quarter.


Game 4: The Kurpie & Jackals controlled the tournament's final game from the start, going ahead 24-0 before a late comeback by the Metropolitans. Szymanik had a pair of touchdown runs in the first half and Paweł Fąk matched that effort with touchdown runs in the first and third quarters for the combined team from Ostrołęka and Łomża. Sebastian Herman had two fourth-quarter touchdown runs for the team from Toruń and Bydgoszcz to make the final score more respectable.


Group B (Przemyśl): Eagles and debutant Bears run wild over Kings and Jokers


Results from the 1st Group B Tournament, played on Sunday in Przemyśl:

Game 1: Warsaw Eagles C 48, Krakow Kings B 6

Game 2: Przemyśl Bears 46, Kielce Jokers 20

Game 3: Warsaw Eagles C 44, Kielce Jokers 0

Game 4: Przemyśl Bears 36, Krakow Kings B 22


Overview: The Bears and the Eagles C team each put up at least 36 points in each of their two games in the Group B tournament in Przemyśl, although it was the Warsaw defense, which gave up only a single touchdown to the Kings B team, that made the Eagles the favorites heading into the second tournament. Still, it was an impressive PLFA debut for the host Bears.


Game 1: The star of the first game for the team from the capital was undoubtedly Bartłomiej Rot, who scored four touchdowns as a wide receiver before coming in to play quarterback in the fourth quarter and throwing a touchdown pass to Marcin Wasilewski from that position. The B team from Krakow was able to avoid a whitewashing thanks to a touchdown run by their quarterback, Krzysztof Muzyka, in the second quarter.


Game 2: The second game was the highest-scoring game of the tournament, although the Przemyśl defense played a big role in the Bears' 46-20 victory by recording 4 interceptions. Przemyśl took advantage of Kielce mistakes early to take a 14-0 advantage, and two Beniamin Iwanicki touchdown receptions doubled that lead before the Jokers were able to put any points on the board.


Game 3: The Jokers were unable to score against the Eagles in the third game, with their best chance coming when they gained control on a muffed kick by Rot. That play seemed to anger the receiver, and he scored a 60-yard touchdown on Warsaw's next possession. Tomasz Sitarek made the biggest contribution to the 44-0 final score with three touchdowns.


Game 4: With starting quarterback Łukasz Niedzielski sitting out with a broken foot suffered before the tournament, the Kings and their two 17-year-old quarterbacks fared better against the Bears than they had against the Eagles, eventually falling 36-22 to Przemyśl. The Bears led by a single score late in the fourth quarter with Krakow driving down the field, before the Przemyśl defensive line fell on a fumble to put the hosts back in control and preserve a perfect 2-0 afternoon.


Group C (Opole): Rare tie means no one gets shut out in first weekend


Results from the 1st Group C Tournament, played on Sunday in Opole:

Game 1: Wrocław Devils Eight 6, Wrocław Giants B 0

Game 2: Opole Wolverines 20, Wrocław Devils Eight 20 (tie)

Game 3: Wrocław Giants B 26, Opole Wolverines 6


Overview: 600 fans and the mayor of the city showed up for the debut of football in Opole, an extremely well-run tournament that featured an expertly painted field and trophies for the winners. The only 3-team group was perhaps the strangest in terms of results, as each team scored exactly 26 points. The Wolverines and the Devils Eight gave PLFA 8 its only tie game of the year so far, while the Giants beat the Wolverines and lost to the Devils Eight to leave Opole at the bottom of the group and the Devils Eight at the top.


Game 1: The lowest-scoring game of the weekend, the eight-man Wrocław derby, saw the Devils Eight grab two interceptions and force four fumbles on their way to a 6-0 win over the Giants B team. The only points of the game came in the second quarter, when Mariusz Górecki hauled in a 12-yard touchdown pass.


Game 2: The excitement continued into the second game, a 20-20 draw between the Devils Eight and the host Wolverines. After leading 14-6 at halftime on the strength of two Ernest Rogowicz touchdowns, the Devils Eight saw the Wolverines close the gap to 14-12 in the third quarter on a short touchdown run by Wojciech Drąg. Dominik Żelasko's 15-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter restored the eight-point lead for the Devils Eight, before Drąg tied the game on the two-point conversion that followed Krzysztof Richter's late 15-yard touchdown run.


Game 3: The Wolverines ran out of gas in the third game, taking the field against a refreshed Giants team that scored the game's first 26 points. Wrocław used three big plays, a 90-yard interception return by Igor Kowal and two long touchdown runs by Łukasz Turek, to take a 20-0 lead into the locker room.  They extended that lead to 26-0 before Drąg once again scored the final points of the match, this time on a 1-yard touchdown run, to finally get Opole on the scoreboard.


Group D (Leszno): Hunters edge Patrioci for opening weekend supremacy


Results from the 1st Group D Tournament, played on Saturday in Leszno:

Game 1: Zielona Góra Dragons 26, Kozły Poznań B 6

Game 2: Leszno Hunters 44, Poznań Patrioci 36

Game 3: Leszno Hunters 30, Zielona Góra Dragons 6

Game 4: Poznań Patrioci 22, Kozły Poznań B 0


Overview: The Hunters jumped out in front of the Patrioci thanks to first-quarter mistakes and held on in the group's most exciting game, while the Patrioci got some respect by beating their crosstown rivals to close the tournament. The Hunters and the Patrioci established themselves as the favorites to battle for the group title in the second tournament.


Game 1: The opening game of the tournament saw the Dragons spring a bit of an upset, taking control of the game in the second quarter and not letting Kozły score for the entirety of the second half. Krzysztof Lawęcki scored two first-half touchdowns, and Patryk Wójcik ran an interception back for a touchdown before halftime to give Zielona Góra a commanding lead at halftime.


Game 2: Leszno and Poznań hooked up in the highest-scoring game of the entire weekend, as the Hunters took an early lead on Patrioci mistakes before withstanding a late charge to win 44-36. The Patrioci pulled to within 10 points twice in the second half, only to see Michał Woźniak hit Tobiasz Matuszczak each time to maintain a comfortable lead for Leszno. Łukasz Bentka scored on both sides of the ball for the Hunters.


Game 3: The Hunters were right back on the field in the third game of the tournament, a 30-6 win over the Dragons. Woźniak picked up right where he had left off, throwing for two more touchdowns and running for another to help Leszno build a 30-0 lead after three quarters. Only Adrian Chojnacki's 7-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter allowed Zielona Góra to avoid the shutout.


Game 4: Kozły were unable to copy that feat by the Dragons in the tournament's final game, a 22-0 shutout victory for the Patrioci. The Poznań derby was shortened to less than four quarters following an injury in the second half. Mateusz Chrzanowski scored twice for Karol Siliwoniuk's team, including a 35-yard touchdown reception from Bartłomiej Kimnes in the first quarter.


Group E (Zabrze): Domination by old guard sets up second week showdown


Results from the 1st Group E Tournament, played on Saturday in Zabrze:

Game 1: Zagłębie Steelers Interpromex B 32, Częstochowa Too Saints 6

Game 2: AZS Silesia Re'B'els 26, Zabrze Sparta Rangers 6

Game 3: AZS Silesia Re'B'els 42, Częstochowa Too Saints 8

Game 4: Zagłębie Steelers Interpromex B 42, Zabrze Sparta Rangers 0


Overview: After a two-year break, football returned to Zabrze, where the B teams for two Topliga squads, the Zagłębie Steelers Interpromex and the AZS Silesia Rebels, dominated against the Saints and the Rangers, not allowing their foes to reach double digits in all four games. The 26-6 win by the Re'B'els over Zabrze was the closest of the four contests.


Game 1: Play began with a matchup between the Too Saints and the Steelers. Zagłębie got a pair of touchdown runs from Marcin Walaszczyk in the first half to jump out to an 18-0 lead at the break. 17-year-old running back Łukasz Grabowski led the ground-based attack in the second half, getting two touchdowns of his own to match Walaszczyk.


Game 2: In the second game of the tournament, the Re'B'els recovered an early onside kick to set up a Patryk Mazurek touchdown run en route to a 14-0 lead after a quarter of play. The hosts settled down after that, making it a one-score game when Patryk Konicki ran 65 yards for a score in the third quarter before allowing Silesia to pull away once again.


Game 3: The Re'B'els came right back to blow out the Too Saints in the third game of the day, which featured a quartet of touchdown passes from Adrian Mazurek to Paweł Tomeczek. Silesia opened up a 36-0 halftime lead with five first-half touchdowns, before Częstochowa got their only points of the game on a defensive touchdown in the third quarter.


Game 4: The Steelers one-upped the Re'B'els in the final game of the day, putting together a complete effort in a 42-0 shutout of the Rangers. Grabowski scored another pair of touchdowns to give him four for the tournament, highlighted by a 40-yarder in the fourth quarter. Łukasz Jaworski threw three touchdown passes for the victors, including two to Łukasz Kisiel.



Group A: Saturday, September 7, 10:00 AM in Bydgoszcz

Group B: Sunday, September 8, 10:00 AM in Kielce

Group C: Sunday, September 8, 11:00 AM in Wrocław

Group D: Sunday, September 8, 10:00 AM in Zielona Góra

Group E: Sunday, September 8, 10:00 AM in Katowice

Alex Zarganis
PLFA Press Bureau