PLFA I 2016 Semifinal Recaps

Autor: Alex Zarganis Published: 10 Jul 2016 | Comments: 0

Tychy Falcons 88, Warsaw Dukes 34 (in Tychy)

The Tychy Falcons offense racked up points at a seemingly unstoppable pace in the 2016 regular season, but they saved their greatest performance for the first PLFA I semifinal on Saturday, scoring more points than any team in PLFA history in an 88-34 win over the visiting Warsaw Dukes. The two teams combined for 17 touchdowns and tied the PLFA record for total points in a game. By virtue of the victory, the Falcons will move on to the PLFA I championship game on July 23.

The first half of the game was fast-paced and competitive, and included a second quarter that saw 55 points scored. Keith Ray's 40-yard touchdown pass to Paweł Szepiszczak started the scoring, and Jacek Wróblewski made it 14-0 in favor of Tychy with a 35-yard touchdown run later in the first quarter. That play started a string of 11 consecutive possessions that ended in touchdowns, an offensive explosion that left the Falcons ahead 48-34 at the intermission.

The second half was a completely different story, as the Falcons dominated on both sides of the football and outscored the Dukes 40-0. Ray threw touchdown passes to four different receivers in the second half to give him a half dozen for the game, and Mateusz Błazik converted two-point tries on each of Tychy's five second-half touchdowns to help turn the game into a rout. Avery Neloms played well in defeat for the Dukes, rushing for a pair of scores and tallying four touchdown passes as well.

Wrocław Outlaws 58, Gliwice Lions 27 (in Wrocław)

The second PLFA I semifinal was a rematch of one of last year's PLFA II semifinals, and the result was the same as the Wrocław Outlaws sent the Gliwice Lions home with a 58-27 defeat, booking their spot in the championship game against the Tychy Falcons in the process. Mariusz Górecki destroyed the Lions defense with five touchdown passes and a pair of scoring runs, as the Outlaws convincingly bounced back from their first defeat of the season to reach the title game.

Konrad Marszał put the Outlaws ahead early with a 31-yard touchdown catch, but the Lions would answer quickly via a 40-yard reception by Julius Childs that tied the game at 7-7 after a quarter. The Outlaws scored the next 27 points of the game, however, a spurt that included a second score for Marszał and Stanisław Werstler's first touchdown of the season. Adam Nelip's 17-yard touchdown reception just before halftime gave Gliwice a glimmer of hope, but it still left the Lions in a 34-13 hole heading into the break.

Childs and Nelip each caught another touchdown pass in the fourth quarter, giving Gliwice quarterback Michael Thomas four touchdown passes for the game. However, the Outlaws always had an answer, and Gliwice was never able to cut into the 21-point halftime deficit. Aleksander Dąda put the exclamation point on the victory with a 65-yard touchdown reception that closed the scoring.

Alex Zarganis
PLFA Press Bureau