PLFA I Week 3 Recaps

Autor: Alex Zarganis Published: 26 Apr 2016 | Comments: 0

Sopot Seahawks 44, Szczecin Cougars 0 (in Szczecin)

A week after losing 48-0 to the Wrocław Outlaws, the Sopot Seahawks visited Szczecin and completely turned the tables, routing the home Cougars 44-0 on Saturday for their first win of the season. Kamil Kowalik threw four touchdown passes for the Seahawks, each to a different receiver, en route to dropping the Cougars to 0-2 on the season. It was, in fact, the second straight 44-0 loss for the Cougars, who fell to Sopot for the fourth consecutive time.

Kowalik, who had been previously injured and whose participation was a game-time decision, hit Michał Jarocki with an 11-yard strike in the first quarter to give Sopot a 6-0 lead. Bartosz Chojecki added a pair of touchdown runs in the second quarter to make it 22-0 at the intermission, and Jacek Grabarczyk's 28-yard scoring reception increased the Seahawk lead to 30-0 after three quarters. Piotr Rudnicki and Mateusz Miotke tacked on fourth-quarter scores for Sopot.

AZS Silesia Rebels 17, Krakow Kings 14 (in Chorzów)

The AZS Silesia Rebels evened their record at 1-1 on Saturday and sent the defending PLFA I champion Krakow Kings to their second consecutive defeat with a hard-fought 17-14 victory in Chorzów. The Rebels had to come back from an 11-point deficit in the second half to get their first win of the season, a victory that was also their first over the Kings in three tries dating back to last year.

Silesia got the first points of the game on a 38-yard Beniamin Bołdys field goal, but the Kings would answer with 14 unanswered points. The highlight for Krakow was a 75-yard touchdown run by Filip Mościcki. Michał Dybowicz would make it 14-3 with a 15-yard touchdown run, but the double-digit advantage lasted for just a fleeting moment before Sebastian Tyrka returned the ensued kickoff 70 yards for a score. The tally remained at 14-10 until after the two-minute warning, when Marcus Ruffin's 2-yard touchdown run capped off a long drive that would eventually prove to be the game-winner for the home team.

Tychy Falcons 73, Gliwice Lions 14 (in Tychy)

The Tychy Falcons became the first PLFA team in over two years to top the 70-point mark on Sunday, crushing the visiting Gliwice Lions 73-14. The Falcons led 52-14 at halftime, meaning the entire second half of the ballgame was played under “running clock” rules. Keith Ray ran for two touchdowns and threw for four more for the Falcons, who had 8 different players get into the end zone. Tychy ran their record to 2-0 for the season, leaving them as the lone unbeaten team in the PLFA I South Division, while the Lions dropped to 2-1.

Both of Ray's rushing touchdowns came in a first quarter that ended 23-0. Adam Nelip gave the Lions some life in the second quarter, first hauling in a 10-yard touchdown pass from Michael Thomas and then an 80-yarder that made it 31-14. The Falcons would then go on to score the game's final 42 points, however, including a blitz before halftime in which they got scores from Jacek Wróblewski, Laparish Lewis and Paweł Szepiszczak. Lewis also scored on an interception return late in the game.

Wrocław Outlaws 31, Łódzkie Wilki 6 (in Łódź)

After starting the season with a pair of shutouts, the Wrocław Outlaws finally gave up some points on Sunday, but not enough for the host Łódzkie Wilki to threaten them in a 31-6 Outlaws victory. The win gave the Outlaws a record of 3-0, installing them at the top of the PLFA I North Division, a half-game ahead of the 2-0 Warsaw Dukes. The Wilki, who lost to the Dukes a week ago, fell to 0-2.

Mariusz Górecki found Konrad Marszał for the game's initial score, a 22-yard touchdown pass early in the opening frame. The Wilki cut into the lead shortly thereafter, taking over deep in Wrocław territory after a botched punt. Damian Waszczyk punched it in from 3 yards out, but Łódź was unable to convert the PAT, leaving the score at 7-6. The Outlaws defense took command after that, and Jarosław Stopczyński scored a short touchdown that helped Wrocław to an 11-point lead at halftime. Górecki put the game away in the third quarter with another touchdown pass as well as a rushing touchdown.

Alex Zarganis
PLFA Press Bureau